Saturday, May 26, 2012

SPD, DSM, IDK: Saw a post on the blog Special Happens on The Last Chance for Inclusion of Sensory Processing Disorder in the DSM-5. Now, I'm a big believer in sensory processing disorder or dysfunction of sensory integration or sensory integration disorder or whatever we're calling it this week -- I even wrote a book on the subject, and I'm convinced that a diagnosis of sensory integration problems, awareness of them, and therapy for them helped my son out a lot. I'm all for having it officially recognized, and officially respected, and officially paid for by insurance. But am I the only one who feels uncomfortable with having it classified as a psychiatric disorder? That suggests a whole different type of therapist than an occupational therapist. Is there such desperation for legitimacy that proponents will take it any way they can get it? Apparently, the best shot may be to have sensory processing disorder classified as part of autism, and ... hoo boy, that's sure an umbrella not every kid with sensory issues fits under, and if all the rest of us are about to become second-class citizens in this as we are with every freakin' other thing our kids have in common with autistic kids, I shall be quite put out. And while getting a medical seal of approval may have some advantages, doing it this way is not, I think, going to make parents more eager to see these problems in their kids and embrace them. I guess if this is the only way to rise above quackery in the eyes of professionals, I'd prefer sensory integration remain some out-there theory that might actually help your kid. But maybe that's just me.

1 comment:

spectrummom said...

perhaps it's because it accompanies so many other diagnoses that do fall into the DSM. Many of them are not psychological either. Tourette's, ASD. However, that is our defining Bible. And thus what else exists to get SPD on the books?