Monday, November 19, 2001

Compliments of my son

"Mama, do you know what I love about you?"

My sweet little blue-eyed boy was looking at me adoringly, and I fell for his line. "What, sweetie?"

"You ... have a lovely ... BUTT!"

Then followed five minutes of perseverating on the B word and giggling uncontrollably.

Loveliness of my hindquarters aside, it is clear to me that my developmentally delayed boy has finally hit the stage at which the word "butt" is a thing of immense and unending hilarity. Other words having to do with rude body parts and body functions are similarly sniggery, but there seems something special about butt. Just yesterday, I heard about how his stuffed Scooby Doo doll was going to have babies out his BUTT. I tried to go into a little detail about how boy dogs don't actually have babies, much less stuffed ones, but it was no good. He was too busy saying BUTT and giggling to listen to boring me.

My guy is in a self-contained special-ed class with kids who are pretty well-matched this year, so I'm guessing this celebration of "butt" is a class-wide thing. In which case, I feel for the teacher. Hope she's not going to start a phonics lesson by asking for words that start with B.

No comments: